Saturday, March 12, 2011

On-Line dating Is Like a Garage Sale

I have just decided that On-Line dating is like going to a garage sale.

The serious people show up early. Waking you from your slumber…knocking on your door curious about your ‘wears’.

There is one difference I can think of.
Shopper settings…
I was able to change my settings on Plenty Of Fish so if people are looking for an “Intimate Encounter” or if they were “Married” they could not contact me.
There was no “creepy or whack job” setting, sadly.
You can’t put on your garage sale sign, “No jackasses please!"

If you have been to a garage sale and had a look around at all the people there you will see a variable plethora, from the pirate to the princess…just like if you are looking at all the stuff strewn across tables in a driveway you will find all sorts of goods.


On-Line dating is the same except we are putting ourselves up for sale out on the table.
We are the goods for sale
We are also the shopper.


The teddy bear that was once loved and someone grew tired of, or grew up and didn’t want it any more.
The cracked tea pot that once held water, now just drips tears because someone didn’t care for it.
The tattered carpet, that someone walked all over.
The rusty gas grill, that was up graded and replaced with a newer shinier model.
The set of dishes, that was bought when someone was young, because they didn’t know what they really wanted and just wanted something to have their dinner with.

Then there are the hidden treasures one hopes to find.
The Picasso that someone didn’t realize the value.
The childhood toy, the memories flooding back with delight at their find.
The perfect tchotchke you can take home to Mom.

Normal people show up hoping to find that diamond in the ruff.
There are also the hoarders that show up, just wanting to add more stuff to their already cluttered messy life.

Then there’s me perusing the goods with no intent to buy commit for I left my wallet heart in my car this black hole I have become. I suppose if I find something I like I can run to my car and retrieve my wallet look deep into myself and see if there is anything left but cynicism.  I did however still put myself on the the table for sale.

With on-line dating you are the integral part of THE Garage sale…You put a sticker on yourself with a  description. Hoping someone will “pick you up”, take you home and care for you.

I didn’t put a price on myself.

3 comments:

  1. BECAUSE..... YOU ARE """PRICELESS"""

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing is dead on, friend. After 3 years of the on again off again relationship with the garage sale. I've elected to try the alternate route. The sit at home and wait for my prince to knock on my door. And while It kinda works, it's still the same-o same-o, the leaking teapot, the tattered carpet, and the rusty grill. oh yeah, and the perfect fitting outfit that really belongs in her closet and not on the table at all. sigh... Where the hell is MY MAN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. h2…they are out there…they HAVE to be!

    ReplyDelete