Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veterans Day

I’ve never served in the military. I was however 'married' to the Air Force for 3 months shy of 14 years. My father is a Marine, once a Marine, always a Marine! My brothers and sister served in the Army. So many of my friends are not home with their families because they put their hands up and took a vow to defend our great Country. Girl friends of mine are living without their spouses for a year plus. Several of my good friends and one of my best friends are in Afghanistan for a year.

February 24th, 1991. My father was in Abu Dhabi working. He was not Active Duty, but working with the military in some context. He was gone for a year. 

June 26th, 1996. I had been married for 4 months. My now Ex-husband deployed THAT day. On the schedule was a brief stay at Khobar towers. I drop him off and return home, I turn on the news…they were his friends.

Dec 24th, 2002. I remember hearing the frustration in his voice. He was only supposed to gone for 3 months. It turned into a 5 month deployment.

Dec. 26th, 2004. There was an earthquake in the Indian Ocean. We were living in Okinawa and planning our NewYears Eve party at ‘Jacks’. The 33rd Rescue Sqd. deployed January 2nd (I think) for an undetermined amount of time.
I know what it was like for me but this is not about me.
This is about the men and women who serve in our Military.

I always wondered what it was like for them. 
To hear about…
The busted pipe or clogged toilet. 
The trouble their child is having in school.
The battery in the car dying and their spouse was stranded.
That their child was up all night sick.
And not being able to do anything to help but listen.
Or…
To have to go to another building to pee.
To have to stand in line to use a phone.
To have to share a room with a stranger or strangers.
To not have a day off for months.
To worry if the next bullet/missile is meant for them.
To not be able to hug their Spouse in times of distress.

I toss and turn in my bed worrying about you but it’s my bed in the safety of my home.
Thank you Veterans.




No comments:

Post a Comment