Monday, November 15, 2010

My first try at MasterChef…was a trainwreck!

This is a compilation of events that led to and the day of my FIRST MasterChef casting call. I think it might be very different than you imagined…but it taught me something about myself.

It was Friday afternoon and I received an e-mail from my very good friend, Jill. She said in her e-mail that she saw in the newspaper they were having a casting call for a new show called MasterChef in Denver, on Saturday and that she thought I should give it a go. I thank her and tell her I’m gonna get my stuff together.

I get my paper out of the recycling bin and find the ‘Friday section’…movie reviews, plays and…casting calls….I get on-line and find out as much as I can. (As you read on you will see I didn’t find the correct web site.)

My Ex was out of town so I had to figure out what to do with my three little people. Thankfully one of my very good friends said…”I’ll take them, we’ll have a sleep over.”

I get my stuff together and leave in the very wee hours of the morning. I go to where the web site said. It was the WRONG place! I have to wait for them to open up and ask. I didn’t have a smart phone then, I could look up nothing. Same name…wrong place. I find out where I need to go and head over there.

I get to the right place and get in line…I’m number 10-ish.
I look around and realize something is very wrong!
Stranger…”What did you make.”
Me…”Make!? I didn’t see anything on the web site about having something ready!?”
I’m thinking to myself, ‘You dumbshit…it’s a cooking show try out.’
I suppose I thought they would want us to make something for them there since I hadn’t seen anything about it…never ASSUME…it makes an ASS out of U and ME….this time it was just ME!

I think fast. Where is a grocery store nearby. The people are very friendly and give me directions.
I get out of line and run to the store. I get to the store and look at the produce first.
What can I make super fast, that’s easy and yummy?
I pick up carrots, green onion, cucumber, ginger, garlic, coconut milk, peanut butter, fish sauce and soy sauce.
I pay, leave and go to get back in line.

I’m number I don’t know what now. I’m standing there and I meet some more people. People here in Colorado are very nice and helpful. I love it here.
We go through introductions and chat as we stand in line.
Red headed dude... “What did you make?”
Me…”Nothing yet, I’m gonna make a Thai pasta salad.”
Red headed dude…”It has to be made ahead.”
Me…”Shit, they don’t have a kitchen I can use, it a frigin culinary institute!”
RHD…”No.”
I have some new friends, they just met as well…Brad and Matt.
Matt…”You also need a photo of your self and a photo of your signature dish.”
Me…”Fuck!”(sorry for the language but this is what I really said and they way I REALLY talk.)
Me…”I guess I can drive home to C-Springs, cook and then come back.”
I also thought I could get one of those hotel rooms with a kitchen use it and leave.
Brad…”Why don’t you come back to my place and cook?”
Matt…”Thats a great idea.”
Brad…”Let us finish with our stuff and then we will head out.”
I’m thinking, ‘These are strangers. Men at that, but if I don’t give it my all, I lose, by my own hand.’
Me…”Ok.”
We all stand in line and I wait for them to finish up…they are very good cooks but did not get the ‘yellow slip’. I don’t get it.
Matt and I get into my cool MiniVan and follow Brad to his house.
I can’t believe I just made these two friends. Holy shit what am I doing?! I have a stranger in my van and I’m driving to another strangers house!
We get there and I start slicing and cooking. I worked fast. Brad took some photos and Matt loaned me a plate for my food all the while some BudLite was being consumed…they are Southern Gentlemen in Colorado!
Matt and I head back and I get back in line AGAIN…it’s a bit;) longer now.

I got the coveted yellow slip for a second call.
You all know I did not make it on the show the first time but…I tried…I tried so hard I got back in line THREE times.

Matt stuck with me the whole time. I was even able to meet his fabulous wife when I dropped him off at home, she had dropped him off. I was also able to meet Brads wife, hottie that she is. They remain my friends to this day and I am thankful for ALL the help from ALL my friends that helped me that day and the one that gave me the info to start.

I love to cook. I want MY cookbook published one day. I want MY own T.V. show as well. Yes, it sounds silly I know.  It is just the first of a few things I want…I want even more than that!

Even if I don’t make the second call…I’ll figure something out.

No comments:

Post a Comment