Saturday, March 20, 2021

My Raisin Bread Recipe



Some of you might not have gotten the memo on why Raisin Bread is served at Easter in some homes. 

It is the body and blood of Christ reimagined from an old culture. It is the bread and wine reborn. It's the holy communion.

Wine comes from grapes and during lent you are not supposed to drink alcohol so they used the grapes another way to hide what they were doing...taking the body and blood, the Holy Communion of you and God. 

I lost my Polish Grandmother's Raisin Bread recipe. It never worked for me anyway. So I made a new one. I've made probably 30 loaves in the last month. Not one failed. Cooked through the center and all. I mastered user error before I was born so following direction is...troublesome for me. So I find ways that work for me, that make sense because to me nothing makes sense in this world we live, unless you look deep. 

...and if you practice something...you can do anything...and I never give up on something I love.

This is my Raisin Bread recipe spell where I raise the dead to life bringing me one step closer to communion with God, life, death, and nourishment for the soul. 

Two loaf pans smeared on the inside with crisco in a layer thiner than a hair. Then an even coat of flour. I like doing this instead of a spray. That way I know It's my fault if not done right. 

1 1/2 C raisins raised from the dead in hot water...let them sit while you work. They will be ready when you are. 

3 C of flour, most times more. I don't weigh...that is too many numbers for me. I would rather go by feel. 

1/2 C sugar, but if you keep a third cup in your container use one of those and half more by eye. 

1 tsp salt. I don't actually measure this. I do it in the palm of my hand like my other Grandmother taught me...she also used to measure in egg size for shortening. 

Mix those 3 together.

In a separate small bowl...

2 1/4 tsp yeast. I use a spoon for the yeast...don't contaminate your yeast and keep it refrigerated in a sealed container. It's much cheaper this way and uses less waste than those single server packets. Bloom it in water a touch warmer then you would bath your children. Add a pinch of sugar...it's food for the yeast and helps it grow. 

1 1/2 C of milk. I use 1% most of the time. I heat it to the temperature I like my shower, scalding. 

2 eggs

1/4 C of butter melted. I wish they would always say one stick. 

a splash of Vanilla...it's a teaspoon to most people. 

In a bigger bowl add the milk you scalded, cooled a bit melted butter and eggs and whisk quickly so not to scramble your eggs. Then add vanilla. 

Add wet ingredients, don't forget the yeast, to the dry in your mixer with paddle attachment. If you don't have that look up how to knead dough. It's more fun that way but way messier. While the mixer does your job drain the raisins and place on a towel. They will be plump and moist again. Dry them off a bit and add them to the dough. Let it go for the amount of time you should spend in every room cleaning on a daily basis to pick up messes and clean here and there. 5 min.  The dough will be sticky. It will not come completely or even half way off the sides as you knead. It's ok. 

Sporadicly coat a large bowl with butter and add dough. Let rise covered for 2 hours. I turn the light on in my oven with a cup of boiling water and put it in there. 

When it's doubled in size dump it on a well floured surface with your scraper near by. It will spread and stick to the counter so a scraper makes things easiest. Cut it in half and move one blob out of the way. Cut them in thirds and do your best to braid them. I'm terrible with braids. Then plop them in their loaf pans and stick them back in the oven for an hour. After the hour remove from oven and turn it on. I don't always add an egg wash to make a pretty sheen. It's the inside that matters;)

Oven at 350F. 

Bake for 23.5 min. Let them sit in their pans for 10 min then dump them out on a cooling rack. Wait 10 more before you cut into it. 

I'm in Colorado where there is no moisture in the air and I live in the foot hills of the Rocky Mountains. That is important information when baking. 


Be still and listen

One day I will tell you a story


Today is the Spring Equinox. When life springs/raises from what was dead. 




2 comments: