Monday, July 11, 2011

Road Trip: Part 1, The First Day

Note…The link below was actually my first installment and I will have several more…I’m still figuring out how to tell this ‘story’…and ‘herd' the Goats Children, hang out with my family and find time to pee…let alone sit and write...
http://behindthebookscover.blogspot.com/2011/07/road-trip.html

Tuesday morning Kat and I left Colorado Springs to head on the way to Tennessee (to my Parent’s house) with our 5 Children. I was completely un-prepared in my eyes. I had gathered clothes for my 3 Children and myself and shoved them into cabinets in the trailer.
Food products had been crammed into the refrigerator, freezer and pantry.
I had purchased lunch boxes for all 5 Children, Kat’s 2 and my 3 and filled them with snacks hoping they would let us focus on our task at hand.

We had no clue how far we were going to get or how many pee breaks we were gonna need…or how fast we were going to be able to go hauling a 23 foot trailer behind the Sequoia.
Kat and I in the front. Bug, Little guy and Fatty in the second row and Tiny, Colbalt (the Chiwawawawa) and Brown nut in the third row.

Kat started off driving as I had never hauled anything before in my life, or driven her Sequoia.

Our first stop was at a gas station in Limon, CO…obviously to get gas…we were going to have to stop often for gas, every few hours we determined…$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$…
...I gathered some courage and asked if I could drive. Kat gathered some courage as well and said…
Kat…”yes.”
It took a little getting used to but I found it not as difficult as I had thought.
Changing lanes took some bravery because we couldn’t see behind us…
…We were on an adventure of a life time!

The next stop was in the itty bitty town place of Flagler because Tiny had to pee and it was lunch time. We pulled off and saw a sign for a wild life refuge…

Note…Please keep in mind we are on this trip not only to prove to ourselves we can do anything we put our minds to as Independent Women but to take our Children on an trip they will never forget.

…So this wild life refuge…as I was saying…we start down this road past grain silos and cows…
…Was this the wild life the sign was referring to?…
…COWS?
‘Cause that’s all we encountered. We turned around and headed back towards civilization the road and found a lush playground and parked on the side of the road and let the Children out to stretch their leg and play as we made lunch in the camper to eat on the found picnic table.

We thought ourselves as geniuses…Children don’t want to have to sit at a restaurant after sitting in a car for hours.

We drove and drove, passing the giant wind farm in Kansas.

Note…I love seeing that wind farm on I-70. It gives me hope for man kind and our use of renewable energy…I also think it is beautiful!
 
We stopped at the camp site we had a reservation at…the Sundowner in Selina, Kansas…Later than we had anticipated. It was twilight when we arrived and the registration office was already closed for the night. So we parked and We Kat got to work…
...I was perplexed as to what to help out with and what I would be capable of doing…so I helped stood around pretending Kat with the trailer hitch, worked on dinner as we discovered how we were going to naturally divvy up responsibilities…

That night it stormed like it could only storm in Kansas…as Kat and I clicked our ruby red slippers crossed our fingers and toes the trailer would not tip over in the winds that whipped around up, the heavens opened up and poured down on us…
…As the Children slept we closed windows and discovered We Kat’s trailer had a really good air conditioner…
…We slept like crap but did survive…2 Single Mom’s, 5 Children and an 11 week old Chiwawawawa Chihuahua.

The next morning we knew there was nothing we could not accomplish.

That 1st evening we also had our first encounter with trailer people visitor…but that is another blog…

No comments:

Post a Comment