Thursday, July 28, 2011

Patellar Tendentious and the Constandindes: Perspective

In December ’10, I had torn my ACL, Meniscus and MCL…

I saw my Doc last month…as I complained, bitched and moaned explained the trouble I was having due to the pain I have.

Note…He is the one person that knows my frustration as I don’t like to burden those around me…although I do at times with my bitchiness…but I let it all out one day, un-fettered. He knows how I’m really feeling….physically.

Doc…”As always Kristin, you are an anomaly.”
That was a month ago as he explained to me that it’s been 5 years since he has seen a case of Patellar Tendentious after an ACL replacement surgery.

My Surgery was 6 months ago.

My knee was fine a few months ago…that’s when I was told I didn’t have to wear my leg brace in public places anymore.
So I put it in the back in one of my many closets hidden amongst my collection of many fabulous purses , boots and shoes.

My Doc, Derek, put me on an anti-inflammatory, Indomethacin.
I took my pill once a day…it’s did nothing at all for me.
I did however have no problems on my Road trip with Kat…could be that I was sitting for days and while at my parents house Camp Walland there were hardly any stairs.
Two days after I got home the pain right under my kneecap hit me like a force as I would trod up and down ALL my stairs? Yes.
...I’m not even mentioning the pain of my IT band and at my incisions, of which I have 5, but only 2 do I feel any discomfort pain.

The other day I took a friend to Manitou Springs and we walked around. My knee was killing me the whole time. I am really good at hiding things. People, issues and pain to be exact…
…well…I am a bit bitchier when I’m in pain. I’m sure my friends can attest to that.

I saw my Doc again today.
I walked in wearing a pair of shoes I bought months ago but had never worn. I’ve only worn heels 3 times…not to include my patent leather, calf high Doc Martens that have a thick 4 inch heel.
I did it because I knew I wouldn’t be on my feet long and I really like looking’ good and after the road trip Kat and I went on I’ve felt the need to look like a girl and dress like one.
It hurts to wear heels though.

Doc…”I thought about you all day yesterday knowing I would see you today.”
He understood my issue and has been concerned for me. He’s a great Doc with a fantastic bedside manner. I can’t tell you how glad I have HIM as My Orthopedic Surgeon. I consider him a friend as well as my Doctor.

We don’t just talk about my own stupid issues…we talk about real things...

...He asked me if I knew the the Constantinides. From what I’ve heard an amazing couple who adopted 3 children, 2 from China and one from Korea. The Mom and three Children were killed in a flash flood while they were camping in Wyoming. He was personal friends with them and Alex, the husband is the only survivor. We talked about the whys…
Derek…”Don’t you wonder why it happens to people like that? Where’s the Karma?”
With all the wisdom I can gather…and having read about them after the incident I have gathered that the Constantindes had a message of love and adoption to share with the world.
Me…”It’s horrible…But now how many people are more aware of what they did and how great they are/were.”
Derek, I think, thinks that because I adopted three children myself I can be put into the same-ish category. I can’t. My children are just that, MY Children and it’s just well, simply put, how I ‘had’ kids. Years ago I sat on “how to” panels for potential adoptive parents…but that was YEARS ago.
I’m torn up about what seems like a senseless loss and have no idea how on earth Alex could possibly being dealing…I just want to give this stranger a hug, but it would be THE most useless gift.

Back to my knee...
Ice my knee twice a day.
I have some new meeds. as well, 2 anti-inflammatories…
Diclofenac, by mouth once a day.
…and a flector patch that sticks to my knee.

Note…This patch I read can also be used for menstrual cramps…I might give it a try in about a week or so…;) Doc, when you read this I want you to know I’m just kiddin’.

Build up my Quads.
Doc…”You are really skinny and it might bother you but I want your quads huge and strong."
Work on my core and hips…
….and he told my Children who sat quietly during my visit that I had to stop going up and down the stairs as much as I could.
This last one is going to be THE hardest of all instructions he’s given me and he is very aware of it.
I live in a 4 story house….to get anywhere I have to go up and down stairs.
He also put me on a new pain killer…
…Those around me can thank Derek for hopefully putting a squash on my bitchiness.

…As I type this out I know my issues are TINY compared to other peoples. I’m thankful that this is my only physical issue.
Putting things into perspective is not always easy but necessary.
I have EVERYTHING…my health…not to mention my family intact!
…And family and friends that love me.

Laurel Constantinides, 39, Hannah, 8, Zoe, 5, and Lucy, 2, drowned July 19 when their van was swept off a washed-out highway as the family evacuated a campground.

Read more:Hundreds mourn Springs mom, daughters swept away in flood - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_18564110#ixzz1TRbtxObQ
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about your latest knee news - that pain under your patellar is a killer. I'm sure your doc told you - for the quads - when on the quad machine - don't flex your knee to 90 degrees - only bend it down to about 130..
    Hang in there P -

    ReplyDelete