Monday, March 19, 2012

Sam, An Angel Sent From God

The trials of life are different for each one of us. We are shaped by events in our lives but how we choose to handle these events can define us…victim, martyr, survivor, hero, inspiration...

One of the things that gets me through difficult times is my perspective on life. It is one of the biggest challenges for myself and my goal is to help others see something from a different perspective…
It’s also one of my biggest messages...

On a daily basis I think of a 10 year old boy I have never met.
Sam.
I know his Mother from High School, we are Facebook friends. We are not close but I think and pray(?) for her Son, her and their family.
I asked her if I could share his story that inspires me to see the big picture…

These are his Mothers’s words…


'He is such an inspiration to me and so many other people. I was driving home from 
the gym today and God was reminding me of what a blessing Sam is. I truly believe 
that Sam is an angel sent to my family to help us to see what life is truly about. So 
many people feel sorry for him or us because of his physical disability.... but I feel 
the total opposite.. Don't feel sorry for us, we lead a much fuller and richer life 
because we have Sam. 


He has taught me not to take things for granted.. not to 


waste time with petty things, and to truly enjoy life to 


it's fullest.. and most importantly.. always have a smile. 


Sam is rarely without a smile. 


As far as all he has gone through... it is a lot. Sam was born with…
...spina bifida
…hydrocephalus
...Arnold Chiari Malformation II. 
He has nerve damage to his legs from below his knee down and also to his bowel 
and bladder. 
He has had a total of 21 surgeries since birth. The first two surgeries occured when 
he was one day old. He is 10 years old now. He had about 6 surgeries in his first few 
years of life. One spine and 6 brain surgeries. 
From there we had 3 marvelous surgery-free years. 
During this time Sam worked hard at therapy and learned how to walk. He would fall 
and look up at me and smile and say "Try,Try Again Mommy!!" He did it too! By 
kindergarten he threw his canes aside and walked his entire day! From there he had 
one surgery a year for 3 years. 
Then When he was 8 he started having a lot of medical issues. In the past 2 1/2 
years he has had 12 surgeries. A few on the legs and the rest on his spine and brain. 
He also had many amazing times during this 2 1/2 years. He was granted a Make a 
Wish and went on the Disney Cruise, he was given a free handcycle, He was granted 
his very own service dog, Ledger, and he had a miracle occur medically, where he 
was able to pee and poo all on his own for the first time ever in his life, at the age of 
10. 
As far as fund raising goes.. Sam has amazing medical insurance and all his bills are paid in full. However, if you want to still raise money for Sam, we would love for any money collected to go back to New Horizon's Service Dogs. They give out hundreds of dogs to people with disabilities and military people who are coming back from the war with PTSD. They never charge anyone for the dogs. Sam's dog Ledger came at the most crucial time in his life. Ledger has been able to go to the hospital and all of Sam's dr. appts. It has changed the whole experience. Where it once took Sam over a week to get out of the hospital... he now gets out in about 5 days. Much quicker recovery time and a much happier experience all together, for Sam, me and the doctors and nurses."


I really wonder what Sam’s big picture is…
Sometimes for me a thank you just doesn't cut it and the act of giving back is what my heart drives me to do.
I don’t have a lot to give but I can give more back to Sam and Ledger by sharing this story with a link to New Horzon’s Service Dog site in hopes that you are grateful for your own health and also find the inspiration in his story that I do…on a daily basis.

http://www.newhorizonsservicedogs.org/

Many of my friends that read this know Wendy and Sam. They are a real family. He is a real boy that has overcome more than most of us in his 10 years that most of us will in a life time.

Wendy, thank you for letting me share this…peace and love girl. and always, your family is in my heart…and on my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment