Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Military Is Still Part of My Life

Being Divorced I find to be easy these days. I share custody 50/50 with my Ex.
It took probably a year and a half for me to 'get used’ to not having my Children around all the time.
I’m ‘used to it’ now.

His schedule is that of an active duty military member…Tdy’s (trips out of town) expected and unexpected.

The last couple weeks his schedule was all weird…and one Tdy was changed to a week earlier after I had all ready made plans…I canceled plans…
These are my/our Children.

Kat and I had a conversation the other day about how she understands the upheaval of our (my Ex’s) schedule bothers me. Our Children are ok with it unless it’s a last minute change. They like to know things in advance (like me)…like who is picking them up from school.
Once in awhile I’ll get a last minute phone call ‘cause a meeting has gone long. I get it.
Or an E-mail or a text that a meeting has been re-scheduled…for a Thursday or Friday afternoon, around the time school gets out.
My Ex has our children on Thursdays, Fridays, every other Saturday and Sundays.

I am very understanding of his work schedule…I get the Military and how things are run.
However…
We share an on-line calendar…I thought I knew the schedule…
When I picked up my Children from school on Monday my Son had his Korean school backpack. This was my first clue…I checked the on-line calendar. Nope, it hadn’t changed. I was perplexed.

Yada, yada, yada…I brought it up. He thought he had changed it. He fixed it.

Thursday came around…I had told our Children that their Dad was out of town and I would be picking them up. They were cool with it.
Time comes to pick them up and I head to the school…
I’m standing there talking with friends then low and behold…
…My Ex shows up.
We look at each other and I say…
…”You are out of town…what are you doing here?”
Him…”I leave tomorrow and get back Sunday evening.”
Me…”Oh…I thought you were gone all week.”
We laughed.
Better that two parents show up than none.

Back to the schedule…And me getting 'used to it’…
I have long weekends with out my Children every other week unless things are interrupted.
The last couple of weeks I have had my children more than my Ex…Spring Break is coming up and I will have my children every day (week day) for the 2 weeks they have off…It’s right around the corner.

To admit as a Mother that I have come to enjoy, yes, enjoy, the quiet time when my Children are not around is a mixed blessing and pleasure. Yes, I miss them but you can’t miss something if it’s always around.
I appreciate the time I DO have with them more these days.
I also appreciate my ‘time off’ as well…I’m looking forward to the weekend…
…seeing as Spring Break is coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment