Sunday, May 27, 2012

Memorial Day

Memorial Day; Barbecues, an extra day off for some, sales at Macy’s…and most of all remembering our fallen; Family members, spouses, friends…

When I got divorced I only divorced my active duty spouse, not my friends or my memories of them.

The military is a different community from the average American community.
It’s not just made up of the active duty but family members as well…
…When stationed overseas or away from family you make a family.
I was/am blessed to have a great military family…some of which we have lost in combat.

We would spend our holidays together, random dinners and First Fridays at the Squadron. People would PCS in and PSC out and we would have Hails and Farewells. The active duty members would deploy and the spouses would step up. Closer and closer we grew with every event; every Air show we worked, every party we planned, every Holiday we shared.

One weekday before Easter when we were living in Japan a few of the Polish girls came over to our house and we made hunderd’s of perogies, securing enough tasty food for all that year. It wasn’t like you could drive home for the Holiday.

There were a lot of parties…
Ghetto Fabulous...
70’s Themes…
Wet and Wild Redneck style...
Famous Couples...
They had their own Burning Man parties and cookouts almost every weekend.

If you live it/lived it you understand the camaraderie and the amount of ‘get togethers’.
...That next time when you all gather…someone or sometimes even many will not be amongst you to celebrate…So you gather as often as you can.
I feel blessed to live somewhere that my military friends often frequent.
I love seeing them so they can fill me in on the goings on of their family and mutual friends…who’s doing what and where and so and so is a douche bag and so and so got promoted below the zone…

I’m writing this and thinking of all my friends spread across the world still living this life.
The stress of wondering…
…’Will I ever see them again.’
…’Will I ever hear their voice again.’
I hope this weekend they will get together and lift their glasses to the way to many Friends that have given the ultimate sacrifice.

In loving memory…

Capt. David Wisniewski
Lt Joel Gentz
Staff Sgt David Smith
Tech Sgt Michael Flores
Senior Airman Benjamin White
…”These things we do, that others may live."
Capt. Randy Roby

…and the many, many others lost…

No comments:

Post a Comment