Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Hidden Truth, My Enemy The Egg And FaceBook


The structural characters of traditional Eggs Benedict are; English muffin half, toasted, Canadian bacon, a poached egg and hollandaise sauce.

This morning I posted a picture on Facebook of my breakfast, Eggs Benedict.
I made it all myself, hollandaise included. Hollandaise is not a very complicated sauce, it just takes about 10 to 15 minutes to make. I’m cool with sauces…they are a bit of a specialty of mine. You can buy those packets of powder (?), I never have though…I’m traditional like that.

My Eggs Benedict was non-tradtional in the sense that well, I didn’t have Canadian bacon or English muffins or lemon juice for that matter. Did this set me back? No….Fuck no.
French bread
A think slice of ham
…and Hollandaise made with Lime juice instead of lemon…OOOooooo…I’m so crazy!!!

The poached egg though was my dilemma. As proud as I am of all my culinary feats and abilities…
The simple EGG is my enemy.
It’s difficult for me to admit I can’t cook something.

I can’t fucking hard boil an egg without messing it up.
This past easter I wanted to make myself some Deviled Eggs…I followed 3 different recipes on ‘How to boil eggs’…I failed all three times. When I have actually succeeded in hard boiling an egg (so that the center is cooked) when I go to peel it half the egg white comes off with the shell.
They funny thing is that I KNOW what I am doing wrong and where I am failing. I understand the fundamentals of the process. I think it’s the Gods cruel punishment for my pride in the kitchen.
I set timers, check temperatures…I FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. (I hardly ever follow directions.)

This morning when I posted my picture you couldn’t see my mess of a poached egg I had made (5 of them actually). Poached eggs are not easy for most people to make…and for me to attempt this is retarded mentally slow of me and prideful…but I had a craving. Again, I know the fundamentals but the application leaves me dumbfounded.
What my Facebook friends couldn’t see is that I had to scoop out the egg yolk first then capture as much egg white as I could. Then in my artistic manner and a great deal of ’strategary' I placed it on top of my egg yolk with hollandaise draped over it to hide the imperfections …all for a picture for Facebook.

This blog is about more than My Enemy the Egg…it’s also about Facebook and my blog.
On Facebook you could look at what I post and my pictures…
I quote my Children, if they say something reeeeediculous ridiculous.
I try to be funny.
I post pictures of fun drinks ‘cause that’s what cool kids do.
I post pictures of things I make.
…but…
…The people that know me best and know the many (and not so many) things going on in my life know Facebook is just what I want you to see…not the real me.
Just like my picture of my Eggs Benedict I show only that which I want you to see.
My blog is where I tell the truth about what goes on…
Behind the Book’s Cover

1 comment:

  1. Looks so delish....not what my fat ass wants to be seeing right now though....trying to eat clean for a bit. Anyway, I can soft poach eggs on a good day....but, its still not a science for me. For peeling...try tapping the top of your hard-boiled egg on the counter/sink then run under cold water while gently peeling away the top....once you break the seal (under the shell) it should all come off easily in one piece or large pieces.

    ReplyDelete