Saturday, December 11, 2010

My second try at MasterChef…not as good as my first try...

Have you ever wanted something so badly you could taste it? Knowing that God created something just for you?

When I first tried out for MasterChef I made it quite far. I didn’t blog about that in my last MasterChef blog…but I made it far. Not ON TO the show but I was happy with how far I DID make it.

This time around was a whole new ball game. The Casting Crew is different as is the Production Company. Same place though, The Culinary Institute in Denver. It only takes an hour to get there and I had a time slot.

Last night I started on my dish.

Chinese Spaghetti, it sounds strange but is really good. Remember, Marco Polo brought pasta back from China TO Italy. Then the Italians ‘made it their own’…different flavors but it looked the same.

Chinese Spaghetti
Ground Pork- I grind my own pork. I want a very lean pork so I use a pork Tenderloin. I remove the   sinew and grind away.
1 lg can of crushed tomatoes
3 Star of Anise
5 Spice Powder (maybe 2tsp…I don’t measure)
Salt


I make my own spice mixes but you can buy yours already if you want…I won’t talk to much smack.

Cook the ground pork then add the tomatoes and spices.  Cook on med/low heat for 45min to an hour. 
Serve over pasta
Top with 
Celery, Green onion, carrot, omelet, and Sambal Oelek.


So I go and I have everything I need. My food is awesome. The tasters said so. The casting crew weren’t that into me and I could tell right away. They weren’t mean, they were very nice, looking for a specific look and story. I actually wore my hair normal as I wanted my FOOD to stand out, my personality is always there, I can’t do anything about THAT!
The tasters didn’t ask a lot of questions about food like they did last year and I said to one of them…
Me…”Ask me anything. I have the answers.”
Him…”How many planets are in the solar system?”
Me…”8.”
I was and still am insulted. I know a great deal about food.

They collect our applications and photos and say…
…”If I don’t call your name you can go. It doesn’t mean we aren’t interested in you, I just have more questions for the others.”
My name was NOT called. I leave and get in my cool minivan and say to my self…
…”Self, this is a reality show, that has cooking too."

One of my friends told me last year that the reason he didn’t think I made it on the show was because I have nothing to loose. I still have NOTHING to loose, only gain.

Some of my readers might not realize that I CAN cook. I’m not just good, I’m GREAT at it. If I have ever cooked for you, you can attest to this fact. Yes, I screw sometimes but everyone does. But on an absurd average I rock the kitchen. I can back up all my talk with mad skills. (This is confidence not cockiness.)

When one door closes another opens and if it’s not a door and just a window I’m skinny, I’m pretty sure I will be able to squeeze through.

No comments:

Post a Comment