Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Empath. Star date 12-18-2010

The other day I received news that one of the 3rd graders at my children’s school was in the hospital. This little girl is severely disabled mentally and physically. She doesn’t know any thing different than the way her life is. It’s just her life. I have no idea how as a parent you deal with having a child so disabled. I feel a great deal of pain for them. When I see her I want to cry. I don’t like to see others in pain and I know this little girl and her parents carry a great deal of pain, emotionally, and the little girl, physically.

There was a Star Trek episode in 1968 called ‘The Empath’. 
Capt. Kirk, Spock and McCoy end up on a planet with ‘Aliens’…Oooo, big surprise, right?
A summery of the story…
Some human like aliens torture Kirk to test another Alien, Gem. Gem, is a beautiful, scantly clad, deaf/ mute. She has a special power though, she’s an empath. She heals others pain by taking it within herself. They finish with Kirk and Gem heals him. Then they decide to take another. It ended up being McCoy. They torture him to the point of near death. Gem, is conflicted in healing him because she knows taking on his pain will put her close to death herself and she might not survive. She heals him, passes the test and all her people are deemed worthy of saving by the other Aliens.

I got hurt last night in JuJitsu class. Someone kicked me wrong by accident and a loud sound emanated from my right knee. I’m not mad or upset. It’s the cost of doing ‘business’ when you have a past time like mine. As an adult I haven’t gotten injured in a very long time. The Instructors and Students were kind and helpful. They got a brace for me and crutches and drove me home. Several of them checked in on me this morning. The Defense Institute is like a family and I am grateful to have them in my life.

When I was a child I was very accident prone, probably because I knew no fear.
I was playing hide and go seek once with my siblings and cousins. I was hiding on top of a wagon wheel and it fell on me. It broke my femur almost at my hip. I ended up in a body cast. I was in it for so long I had to learn to walk all over. The Doctors told my parents I would probably never walk normal again…and if you have ever seen my stride…I don’t walk normal…I walk like I am on a Cat Walk!…well not at this moment;)

I am typing this with my leg in a brace and ice on my knee. I have no idea if it’s a sprain or my ACL…the later scares me as my knee seems to wanna go every which way that it shouldn’t. I am also feeling a great deal of thanks for the health I DO HAVE and that of my families.
I like to keep a good perspective on things. A friend of mine this morning said…
…”Do you ever wonder why these things happen? Maybe someone is telling you to slow down.”
Me…”Yeah, I get it. At least I don’t have to drive my children to and from school for awhile.”
Him…”I’m seeing a great many more blogs in your future, ‘cause you have to stay put.”
Me…”HAhahhaahaaaa!”
When I called my parents my Dad answered and I told him what happened.
Dad…”You know people are going to say that you brought it on yourself.”
He follows on with a story about his friend who decided not to go sking because he didn’t want to injure himself.
Me…”I know Dad, but I could have done this slipping on ice.”
Me…”…and you know what, we can’t be afraid of getting hurt every time we leave the house. All I was doing was learning to defend myself. I have no regrets.”

I live in a house with 4 levels, that =’s a lot of stairs. I’m trying to figure out how to get laundry done, vacuum and in general run a household by myself now in my state. I will have to depend on friends to drive me around for a bit. I also know that it is a temporary state. Yeah, it will take a while to recover but it won’t be forever.

People live with physical disabilities all the time, forever, with no recovery…ever!

Having this happen to me reminded me to have even more empathy for others and their pain.

If something bad happens to me I always remember…
“Someone else has it worse.”
I don’t know if it’s the kindest thing to think but it keeps me straight, level and well grounded.



No comments:

Post a Comment