Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Nuts and Pies…The God’s made them to go together!

I love pie. Not store bought pie…good pie.
My mind is in the gutter as I type about pie, hence the title ‘Nuts and Pies’. I can’t help it, forgive me.

Anyway….

F3 Texts me last night to remind me I had agreed to watch her Daughter while she worked. I’m so glad she reminded me. I had totally forgotten and I think she knew I had forgotten.
She comes in for a bit before she leaves…
F1…”Oh, it smells good in here!”
Me…”Thanks.”
We head into my kitchen because I am actively cooking.
She sees my Cranberry Sauce on the stove and sees me take my corn bread out of the oven.
F3…”What’s that for?”
Me…”My dressing…."
F3…”Oh, you make your own corn bread? I never thought of doing that.”
My shoulders slump and I stare at her.
Me…”How else would I make it?…and HEY…you’re my friend DO YOU READ MY BLOG!?”
F3…”I just use the box. I mean I use fresh stuff too though.”
F3 is a good cook in her own right, I admit this….but boxed food bothers the crap out of me. It’s a waste of money and probably bad for you.
F3…”Do you use a box of Jiffy Mix?”
Me…”NO!…I use cornmeal and flour.”
We chat and she heads to work. She loves me, I know it.


 I think I have everything in my pantry. Nope…to the store I head with my three children and one extra. F3’s daughter was adopted, she’s half Loas and half black. I have one Peruvian, one Korean and one Malato. As it is when I go out with my children I get a lot of looks. With F3’s daughter it gets worse. The children are very, very well behaved...when out that is… One pushes the cart, and the others follow me about like little ducklings in a row. Once someone came to me, child in tow and asked…
…”You seem so good with them, do you run a daycare, ‘cause I really don’t like mine.”
I shit you not, she said that to me.
I kindly explained... “No, I’m their Mother, they just have…different baby daddies.”
I shit you not, I SAID THAT BACK!
(This was just with my three of course.)

One of my friends daughters wants to have a play date so I head to her house and all the little people run in and disappear like my 6 year olds Social Security check is disappearing before he reaches retirement age. My friend says oh, just go, I’ll bring them back to you in about an hour…I’m watching F3’s child…I leave her there. We are all very close friends and I know F3 won’t care.

I get home and start cooking my 3.14’s.

Pie Crust
This is for 2 pies.
4 C Flour
2 tsp salt
2 Lg egg size blobs of  of Butter Flavor Crisco (yup…old school the way my Grandma measured)
1 C of freshly ground pecans. It has to be fresh you want the oils from the Pecans and it adds a nice nutty sweetness.
Use a pastry cutter or 2 forks to cut the Shortening so it’s pea size.
Ice water…3-4 Tbs depending on the humidity that day.
Wrap in plastic wrap place in fridge till you’re ready.


Pecan Pie Aka, Nut Mix..it’s fun to mix up the nuts with some sugar. I snicker as I type this.
1 C melted butter (no margarine)
1 1/2 C Sugar
A bottle of corn syrup, light or dar, I don’t care.
8 Eggs
2 1/2 tsp Vanilla (real please)
1/2 tsp salt
2 C pecans, some whole for decorating the rest chopped.
Stir the first ingredients together.
Split chopped pecans between the two pie. I am assuming you have rolled out your dough and placed in pie shell.
Split liquid mix and pour over top.


Variations…I find I love Chocolate in my pie, pecan pie that is. Today I had half a bag of leftover Heath Bar bits and add that.  You can put chocolate chips in a splash of Rum or Bourbon, carmel pieces and or coconut.
Bake at 325 for 50 min-ish or until done.


While the pies are in the oven and the children away I make my Dressing. I didn’t measure a damn thing I’ll have you know.
I used leftover white wine from game night (I didn’t bother with the chicken broth). 6 or 7 spoonfuls of my cranberry sauce. Day old honey oat bread I bought today. Sage, salt and pepper. Celery and  onions sautéed in tons of butter, and some sausage. I mixed it all together…It is AWESOME if I don’t say so myself. Then I add an egg, put it in the fridge till I cook it tomorrow.


My children +1 are dropped off and start playing loudly and like animals, literally.
They’re downstairs...

M…”I’m a Lion”
CH…”I’m a Cheeta”
I hear them and I yell down…
…”I’m Cougar!”

I separate the cranberries from the extra liquid. That extra liquid makes the BEST cocktail base…just add vodka, cranberry juice and a splash of OJ. 


My Neighbor shows up at my door. I love her. She walks in and sits in my red wing back chair that’s in my kitchen.
Yes, I have a wing backed chair in my kitchen. My friends fight over who’s going to sit in it when I am cooking. It was a marvelous idea of mine to put it there.
K(that’s my neighbor)…”I forgot to make the mashed potatoes for my Son’s school yesterday. So I went to KFC. I have never had children so excited and so many dirty looks from the Mom’s who made everything homemade!”
I laugh of course…I have too.
We are both single Mothers and ‘parent’ maybe a little differently than those behind the white picket fences. Neither of us want a white picket fence.
She goes on.
K…”I was holding this ladies baby so she could eat and the baby smelled like breast milk. I hate the smell of breast milk. I didn’t breast feed my children. I thought it was gross. Oh, but recreational breast feeding is A OK with me!.”
She’s so funny. I agree with her…about the recreational breast feeding part.
I ask her what she’s making for tomorrow.
K…”A turkey breast, mashed potatoes, and that green bean thing…I don’t even like that mushroom soup stuff.”
Me…”A turkey breast, that’s a great idea!”
K…”It was YOUR idea.”
Me…”Oh, I’m cool like that.”
Me…”Did you read my blog of T-Giving recipes?”
K…”No, I don’t like to cook.”
Me…”Try the brussels sprouts…they are really good.”
We continue chatting.
K…”No one was helping and none of the other Mom’s would talk to me. I hate that.  I swear it takes a whole village to help out with that school stuff. I think I have a whole village inside me.”
Me…”Don’t tell the people you see all the time that…They will think you have a ‘whole village inside you!”
K…”I’m a single girl, who cares!”
I love her more now.
A few cups of coffee, some crab dip and crackers  and a couple hours later she heads back to her place.

I start my blog…

F3 shows up an hour late…I didn’t notice, don’t care…I just love her. Her daughter is playing fantastically with my Son and I could take her all night if she needed.
F3 brought me bagels from Panera Bread. WaHoooooo! Lot’s of them!
She sit’s down and we start chatting.
F3…”You can blog about this.”
There are MANY things I DO NOT BLOG ABOUT.
F3…"My sister called the other day about what her husband said, ‘a bottle of wine a tube of lube and some back door action, now that’s romantic.”
Yes, I am blogging about this.
Me…”I can’t blog about this, holy shit how am I gonna fit ‘this in’.” Hahahahhahhaaaa!
Many of us women have this conversation. Did you guys know that?
Me…”SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!”
When a man says to you ‘hey, wanna…?’
Your response should be…
...”You let me do it to you FIRST.”
Yup…This IS the way we talk…..and I thought it went well with Nuts and Pies…sorry Mom.


No comments:

Post a Comment