Friday, October 7, 2011

Nerve Blocks

I’m writing this for the random Joe blow that googles nerve blocks and wants the low down on them.

I’ve had two now.
My right leg and my left arm…

I’m no expert and will not go into the finer nuances…
…I will tell you what to expect though…
When you get a nerve block you can’t feel ANYTHING for 7-24 hours after.
This is both good and disconcerting.

When I had knee surgery I opted for the nerve block…in my right leg.
After my surgery I had to get in and out of my MiniVan. I also had to get up the stairs…to the room I had designated as the most comfortable being that I had given mine to my parents in payment that they come visit help me out.
You have no control at all over your appendage…none.
To get up the stairs I sat on my ass, the half that I could feel and the other half I couldn’t but I presume was there…and used my arms to get up them, my leg just dragging. I did the same to get in the bed but had to use my hands to lift my leg up on the bed.
Later when I needed to pee I grabbed my crutches and as much as I tried that right foot dragged behind me…just a bit.
...as I was saying peeing…I ended up peeing on myself…I could only feel half of my private parts. I sat there laughing the half of my ass that I could feel off…Then cleaned myself up.

When I had my arm/wrist surgery…
I was alone this time, they told me I was supposed to have someone with me for 24 hours after my surgery...I didn’t have anyone though.
I figured I could handle things on my own.
What scared me the most was my fear that I would get my fingers caught on something, break one and not even know it…
I was thankful when later that evening they started to tingle, like when your foot falls asleep and is starting to wake up (and then you know it’s gonna keep ya up all night ‘cause it just had a nap, sorry that was stupid but I had to say it).

With a nerve block… you can feel nothing. Which is lovely when your body has been intruded by your Surgeon, or as in my case very adorable, very talented and insanely smart Surgeons that have added dead people parts (my leg) or bionics (my arm).

Good luck! It’s freaky but cool too.

2 comments:

  1. Nerve blocks are great as they can reduce the amount of anesthesia and analgesia you receive intraoperatively. However, like all procedures, they do have risks. You should know all risks, benefits and alternatives when you give consent for any procedure. And the benefit should far outweight the risk. I would say it is extremely irresponsible that you were allowed to drive home let alone be alone after anesthesia and a peripheral nerve block. Driving home after sedation along with a blocked limb could easily get you a DUI. Let alone the liability on the surgery center.
    My 2 cents,
    Doc H
    Doc H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doc H you misunderstood. I had a ride;)! I’m not stupid…and also my friend Kat was across the street if I needed her.

    ReplyDelete