Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Trifling of Spring Fashion Advice

I get a pic text of two pairs of heels…
…’Which ones do I get? Remember, I’m more conservative than you.’
Me…'The grey ones with the peep toe and platform. The platform pair maybe higher but they are easier to walk in.’

I get a text this AM…
…'How do you feel about white jeans?’
Me…’I’ve never been a fan…white pants are another story.’

I like white pants, platform shoes, jeans and t-shirts…

It’s almost spring time…”Let’s get busy!”…

I’m a Fashionista, self-proclaimed of course. A personal stylist to friends and family…and I LOVE a good sale.

My closets are not a disaster but they are jam packed with anything you could desire. I’m not huge on brand names and big ticket prices. I AM huge on big savings, quality and style.

I shop all over, with friends and by myself. Somedays I would be walking around naked if it wasn’t for Target. Yeah, I shop at Target. I also shop T.J.Maxx, Macy’s, Dillards and small locally owned Boutiques (my personal favorites!).
Once in a while, a great while, I will head to Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, White House Black Market and Talbots. I only shop sales though…not it’s 20% off…Clothing that has been marked down to 1/2 off and then an extra % off clearance.
I once acquired 5 pairs of pants at Ann Taylor for $2.89 EACH!

Now, onto some things you should have and things you need to be wary of.

My number one rule is you DO NOT NEED to be a size 2 to look good.
(This is for Amy, one of my KickBoxing buddies)…Remember, I was once almost a size 8, with saddle bags fit for a horse to boot!

You must start with basics.

First off…please pull up those bad boys of yours and strap them in a well fitted BRA!
…and finally Panties..to wear or not to wear!
If you are wearing Panties, and they are NOT a thong we most likely can see them. I do however think the boy short style work well. If you have never gone Commando, I recommend it. Ahhhhh…the freedom…but DO wear panties under skirts!…particularly in windy Colorado.

As always having Classic Pieces is a must.

A long sleeved plain tapered white blouse. Plain, no frills or ruffles.
White and black T-shirt’s.
Well fitting non Mom style jeans. Every body type requires something different. When shopping bring a friend who minces no words and is not worried about hurting your feelings.
A well tailored Black Blazer.
Grey tweed slacks.
Black slacks.
A wrap dress.
A denim jacket. (I have had the same one for the last 10 years.)
A black skirt, a line or fitted, depending on your body type.

There are some trends this spring that are fabulous, others I am a little nervous about seeing ‘on the street’.

Adding a splash of colour…
We all have a favorite colour that makes us stand a bit taller.
Do it with a Trench coat, a purse, a chunky necklace or a pair of shoes.
On the runway this season they are even adding streaks of colour to their hair. That means that those of us that HAVE already been doing this are on the right style track.

Faux fur…
WaHoooooo…I love faux fur.
1 animal faux jacket is all you need.

Animal prints…
Take heed. A little goes a long way! (This coming from the woman that has a leopard print dress:/)

Let’s now go back to the 80’s and a bit of the preppy look…
Knee length fitted shorts with a baggy top or your classic white blouse. Wear penny loafers with knee high argyle socks or knee high boots.

One trend that I have been sharing privately that I did not see on the runway (via the internet) as it’s more ‘street style’ is…
Wearing skinny jeans and some cool socks OVER them and pulled up…over the socks wear boots and make sure about 2 inches of the sock is showing. You can do this with calf high or higher boots. You can find some fun socks, (by fun I mean polka dot or argyle) at Target in varying hights.

Lace and ruffles…
This is where things get a little scary for me as all I can think of is Kramer on Seinfeld and the pirate shirt. Please if you are going to try this be very, very careful.
I personally might skip this…oh wait, I can’t…I already have the perfect blouse that I got in Japan;)

This is only a meager amount of advice. Skinny jeans, wide leg pants, belted sweaters are all still ago as are leggings. If you are wearing leggings make sure your ass is covered…well.

I’m trying to be practical. We need to not dress like idiots but take bits from the runway. You need not look like you just walked off a runway to look good. A pair of jeans a nice blouse or t-shirt and blazer with a nice necklace looks put together and actually takes no thought at all.

I don’t remember who said it but…
…”no one knows where you came from or where you are going.”  This is a motto of mine: grocery shopping, picking up my children from school and plain just out and about.

When we dress nicely and look good we feel better about ourselves. When we dress nicely we get more respect from others and respect ourselves too.

This was typed out by a woman who could probably wear a pair of jeans and a long sleeve black t-shirt every day in the winter…I don’t, but when I do I wear a blazer or cool jacket, lot’s of necklaces and fabulous shoes or boots. It’s the little things…

No comments:

Post a Comment