Saturday, December 10, 2011

My Basketball Dilemma

My Daughter, BrownNut plays Basketball…She loves Basketball.

Twice a week her team practices and on Saturdays she has games.
We are in to the second game…
…and second loss.
Neither were close games, they are getting pounded!

I have a dilemma.

Our girls are not aggressive assertive.
They DO have great sportsmanship though.

How do you teach 9 and 10 year old girls to be aggressive assertive?

I’ve been known to be on the aggressive assertive side…
I can hear some of you as you read that…
...”Ya don’t say!”…
…”Wow, way to state the obvious.”

I wasn’t an athlete as a child, I was lanky and accident prone.

I can hear some of you…again...as you read that…
...”Ya don’t say!”…
…”Wow, way to state the obvious.”

When I was in my 20’s and started playing Crud I realized that I really liked winning. When the game was over it ended for me…win or loose I considered it over (I am a “Good game!” Kinda Gal, mostly). Every once in awhile my Ex would go over what I did wrong and how I could improve my game…yes, stupid I know, it was just Crud. I wanted to improve though.
Our ‘teams’ would play both Women and Men. 
The next day I would wake up with bruises all over my thighs and arms and once ended up with cracked ribs…He was a big fella.
When I went to the flight Doc about my ribs that week she said…
…”You played a great game.” 

Later I was able to coach/teach other Women how to play Crud…
I enjoyed teaching the Women how to play.
Some of them were already aggressive assertive and didn’t mind getting in someones face, others needed a little pushing and prodding…
We were adults though…I could say what I wanted to them and they could say what they wanted back to me...

I’m not my Daughters coach. I've never played basketball…I don’t know the rules of the game (I’m learning slowly).

What I do know are some lessons for life...
http://behindthebookscover.blogspot.com/2011/12/lessons-for-our-children.html

To teach young Girls to be aggressive assertive is something I can do/want to do.
I’m all about empowerment…and Girl power.
…and if you want a motivational speech…That I CAN do.

I of course would have to watch my language…
I wonder if the Coach would let me?

No comments:

Post a Comment