Friday, March 28, 2014

Gluten Free Buttermilk Pancakes

Something not political!!!

I have found I don't care for the 'mixes' you can buy of gluten free 'flour'...I like the brownies and cakes though.
I wanted to make Pancakes for my five favorite Children...my three and my 'Boy'-friends. One of the Children has Celiacs so we are very careful. One of the others has a life threatening allergy to all nuts...gluten/nut free I can do now. A lot of gluten free stuff is 'nutified'...
I'll have a few notes at the bottom...

I made it up as I went but wrote it down (small miracle)...

Mix Dry ingredients in large bowl

1 Cup tapioca starch
1 Cup brown rice flour
1 Cup sweet sorghum flour
2 Cups white rice flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp Guar Gum
1 tsp Xantham Gum
8 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
4 Tbs sugar

In a seperate bowl mix the wet ingredients

1 quart buttermilk
4 eggs
1/2 Cup butter melted
2 tsp vanilla

When everything is ready pour the wet into the dry and stir...do not over stir.

Then cook your pancakes the way you regularly would but as with all gluten free batters it...different...you will need to spread them out a bit and you will not get pretty circles.
Makes enough to feed two 9 year old boys, one 10 year old boy and two 12 year old girls that love pancakes and one Mom. If you need to feed the Dad too...make some eggs to distract the boys a bit away from the pancakes.

Notes...
That's a lot of different flours I used. I know. You HAVE to have the tapioca starch for sure. As for the rice flours you probably could use one kind...I have no idea about the sweet sorghum flour...I figure it says 'sweet'....I should use about a cup;).
Guar Gum and Xantham Gum are not interchangeable but many recipes only call for one or the other....always use both. If a recipe calls for 2 tsp of Guar Gum use one of Guar Gum the other Xantham....it makes a difference.
They also require an acid to activate them. In these pancakes the buttermilk is the acid. When baking bread type recipes call for vinegar but you will get a tiny bit of a better flavor if you use lemon juice (not the kind you squeeze from a bottle, the kind you squeeze from a lemon).
You also should know you will have to take out an extra mortgage for the Gum's but you don't use that much and if you have someone with celiacs it's worth it so the family can have yummy things to eat and person with Celiacs will stay safe and healthy.

Also note Gluten Free baking is easy, fun and always a science experiment....I've thrown away some doozies!!!
It's usually not 'attractive' and it's lumpy looking...go for flavor.






No comments:

Post a Comment