Thursday, June 28, 2012

Waldo Canyon Fire

I’ve never had a hometown.
I’m not from anywhere.
For me to tell you I have never felt more at home and peace in a place would be an understatement.
Colorado Springs is my home now.
I have lived here for 5 years and I don’t plan on leaving.

Saturday June 23 a wisp of smoke was spotted.
The next day we had a full blown forest fire.
A whole town, Manitou Springs, was evacuated.

On June 26th we watched this devastating fire lick the peaks of our beautiful hills as it got dangerously close to homes…then the sky blew up as the winds gusted.
You could see it all over from many vantage points.
Burning eyes of red flames dotting and spreading as we caught on fire.
Mouths agape covered with our hands we watched in shock.

Let us all be thankful that those people in those houses were evacuated in time.

The firefighters have come from all over the country to help fight this fire.
Our police have been busy as well keeping the criminals from entering evacuated sites.

The Care and Share drop off has had a mile long line as my/our community comes together like I have never seen a community do so.
This is not a normal town. This is the second largest city in Colorado but still a small town where everyone knows someone affected.
We learned today that 346 houses/peoples homes were destroyed.
16,500 acres burned and over 35,000 evacuees.

This city of Colorado Springs and the state of Colorado is one of the most amazing places I have ever been and lived (that says a lot, I’ve been all over the world).
The people are happy, and wouldn’t you be if you got to live here?
I know my checkout cashiers and the guy that bags my groceries.
I even like my landlord.
My Children will know Colorado Springs as their home town.

This is MY Colorado.




The Denver Sidewalk Chalk Festival.
Hanging Lake.
Boulder
Random deer...
This is my LoveBug two blocks from my house









This is OUR Colorado.





If you want to help there are many sites like the Red Cross, and you can ear mark your money to go where you desire…

One site I kinda like…a lot is
http://www.wildfiretees.com/
You can also like them on Facebook.
El Pomar is also a wonderful site that has been a local and loving member to our community, as it IS our community.
This is a beginning not an ending. Our economy will boom.

No comments:

Post a Comment