Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Emperor Constantine

I was brought up Catholic. My parents always told me that one day I would grow up (which I am still waiting for) and find my way, religiously speaking. I have educated my self since and as you all know I found my way to Wicca…..ahhhh…but religions bewitch and titillate me! ALL of them…not just one. I will focus here though on just one…Catholicism, the beginnings of Christianity.

Emperor Constantine changed the Church and directed it in a path it still continues.

He was the first Roman emperor to profess his Catholicism and be baptized, right before his death…His death has some irony attached to it I think. I’ll get to that….later.

The Catholic version of the Bible contains 73 books, the Protestant version contains 66.
Before Constantine there is nothing documented about how many books WERE in the Bible.
Scholars think that perhaps there were almost 600 books in the Bible to include, the ‘Book of Mary’, Magdaline and many others.

He could probably declared the FATHER of  the CHRISTIAN RELIGION…not Christianity…but the religion of Christians.

He was powerful. He was a Man. Did he just want a Male dominated religion to ‘rule’ the people?
That is what THEY/HE (not God or Jesus) created put together. A book of the documents that they saw fit that would better Man kind and take the power away from the Holy Grail, Women.
Up until then Paganism and Judaism ruled the roost. Well, maybe the pagans were busy sacrificing the roosters from the roost. (I had to say it.)

He began the Nicene Council because they, the Catholic Religion, was so young and still trying to write itself for the future. They were having a difficult time with The Holy Trinity in the beginning and differentiating it from the Pagan Religions.
There was a disagreement between the Monarchianists and Trinitarans. One invisible God vs Three persons in one God…
How do you explain three persons in one God while you are trying to distance yourself from the Pagans?!

You take a vote(Yes, they really did)…Yes, that is the simplicity of it. How cool is that?!

The Father
The Son
The Holy Spirit

Those of us with multiple personality disorders get this. Why can’t you be various people in one being? It all makes sense to me.
As a Wiccan we have the oldest of the power of three…

The Maiden
The Mother
The Crone

I wonder where they got their idea for their Great big revised many times by many people translated from several languages…History Book?…A pretty darn accurate history book I might add, I’ll give it that.

AD 337 Constantine dies. His intent before he died was to be baptized in the river Jordan, that never came to pass and he was baptized on his death bed.
After his death the Roman senate decided to elevate him to ‘God’ status, this is called deification.
That is the irony.
The first Christian Emperor had been raised to the status of a pagan deity.

Ok….now…Do you think I should have just blogged about Keanu Reeves who played Constantine, a half Angel man that went around killing Demons?
I have probably seen that film 100 times.

No comments:

Post a Comment